IMPORTANT – If you are travelling to a country against FCO advice, ONLY our Navigator Silver, Navigator Gold & Navigator Diamond policies are valid (though they won’t cover claims connected with the circumstances that are giving rise to the FCO advice – usually Covid 19). ALL our other policies, including Motorcycle Silver & Motorcycle Gold, are completely invalid if you travel to a country against FCO advice.

Please note, our policies do not provide cover for cancellation, abandonment or curtailment claims if the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advises against all or “all but essential” travel. Our policies will also not cover any claims caused by or relating to Coronavirus, COVID-19, Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-COV-2), any mutation of Coronavirus, COVID-19 or SARs-COV-2 or any pandemic or fear or threat of any the above. We also can not cover any claims relating to any fear or threat concerning these viruses, with the exception of Medical Expenses cover (provided that you are not travelling against FCO advice).

Volunteers Travel Insurance Policies

Volunteering abroad is more popular than ever, and with university becoming increasingly expensive more and more people are heading out to foreign shores to carry out volunteering roles, either as part of a gap year or as a career break. Voluntary work can vary from doing environmental projects in Costa Rica or working with animals in a wildlife sanctuary or refuge, to teaching English as a foreign language in China, there are a huge range of opportunities for those prepared to up sticks and move away from their home comforts. Whatever volunteering role you decide is right for you, it’s important you get the right insurance cover for your volunteer project abroad, so in the event of accidents etc in your new workplace then you have a suitable travel insurance policy available to fall back on. If your volunteering project involves manual work, or work of a potentially dangerous nature, such as working with either domestic or wild animals, you should refer it to us for specific agreement. In these cases, there will almost certainly be additional cost involved and additional conditions attached to the cover.

Whether you are just finishing school, fresh out of university or taking a career break, doing volunteering work abroad is a great way to explore the world and get an insight into a different culture that you would never experience on a more orthodox backpacking trip. Immersing yourself in the international volunteer community and becoming part of the day to day life of people who live in a wide variety of fascinating destinations is an incredibly rewarding way to travel. But it’s important not to forget that someone has to look after you as well, and getting a suitable travel insurance policy is step 1 of that process.

At Navigator we want to make the process of getting specific travel insurance for volunteering as simple as possible. It is important that you read the policy wording document and understand the limitations of work-related cover on travel insurance policies. As previously mentioned, additional costs and conditions will apply to manual or potentially dangerous work, so need to be referred. Personal Liability cover is excluded for work-related claims, whether the work is paid, unpaid, charity or volunteering. Additional compensation for death, disablement, loss of sight/limb etc is also excluded for work-related accidents, though medical expenses are covered, as long as the type of work has been declared, if manual or if it carries additional risk. The type of volunteering you are doing is likely to change the type of travel insurance cover you need as English teachers are at lower risk than those involved in outdoor, manual work. Depending on how long you are going away for and what work you are doing you will pick from our 3 main policies:

If you do have questions about what the best volunteers travel insurance policy is for you then don’t hesitate to call us on 0161 973 6435 or, alternatively, if you’ve seen everything you need to then why not get a quote online right now!

Check out our blog below:

Annual Multi-Trip

Cover for multiple trips
  • Up to 45 days each trip
  • Option to extend to 62 days
  • Special deals for couples and families
Learn More

Long Stay Single Trip

Cover from 2 to 18 months
  • Gap years
  • Extended backpacking
  • Career breaks
  • Volunteering
  • Studying
  • Working holidays abroad
Learn More

Short Stay Single Trip

Cover for up to 45 days
  • Single holiday
  • Business trip
  • Special rates for families
  • Accompanied kids go free
Learn More


Holiday Makers

Families, couples or individuals

Families, couples or individuals on holiday or business trips for shorter durations.



gap years, Backpackers and Career break

Usually couples or individuals requiring cover for longer term overseas trips of 2 months or more.


Sports & Adventures

skiing, snowboarding, climbing and more

We offer four policies for people travelling overseas, requiring cover for specific sports and activities.