Student Travel Insurance for Holidays or Studying Abroad

Students aren’t usually the most thorough when looking into things like travel insurance. There’s more emphasis on the entertainment side of things than the boring, administrative tasks. However, it’s just as important that students get the right travel insurance policy as anyone else so they are covered when they head out on their holidays. At Navigator, we want to make the process as easy as possible so students can focus on what they do best: having fun.

If you are studying at an overseas university, you may encounter problems getting travel insurance for students in your second or third year, due to a residency requirement on many UK travel insurance policies. Many of these long stay policies have a rule in the small print, which states that, to be eligible to buy this policy, you must not have been out of the UK for more than 6 months during the 12 month period prior to buying the policy. Obviously, if you have been at an overseas university for most of the previous year, you cannot buy this type of cover. However, the long stay versions of our Silver or Gold policies do not have this wording. To be eligible under the residency requirements of these two policies, you just need to have a home in the UK or EU and be registered with a GP here. There are no restrictions on the amount of time that you have spent out of the UK/EU in the previous year.

The range of insurance policies we have, cater for any student travel insurance requirements, whether you’re heading out on a 3 month, extended summer trip or a 5-day tour with your sports team. We know students are looking for cheap student travel insurance, though it’s still important to have all your activities covered. If you go on football tour and don’t have a travel insurance policy which covers sporting activities then you’ll be in trouble if you suffer an injury on your trip. Likewise, there’s no point getting a hugely expensive adventure policy if you only plan on going on a beach holiday for a week.

The last thing students want to spend time doing is reading the small print on a complicated travel insurance policy, though it is important to understand exactly which one is best for you so you don’t end up finding out the hard way that the cheap cover that you found online won’t cover half of the things that you want to do. If you take expensive belongings away with you like iPods or mobile phones then you need to be aware of the limitations on cover for these items. You should look carefully at the Single Item Limit and Total Valuables Limit on travel insurance policies. These electrical items are classed as “valuables” and cover is always very limited for these. Navigator Travel’s Travel Insurance Tips & Advice page provides a breakdown of the pitfalls when selecting a policy so that you don’t get stung like this when you should be enjoying yourself.

Our aim at Navigator is to help you find the perfect travel insurance for students, with the least hassle possible, offering all the information up front in a simple and easy to understand format. We are also available to discuss any issues personally with you via phone or email if necessary.

Depending on the nature of your travel throughout your years of studying, we have a number of policies to choose from which fall into 3 main categories:

Whatever your travel plans, you will get the cover you need right here. If you can’t find the information or the policy you are searching for then call us direct on 0161 973 6435 and we will do our best to find the perfect policy for your needs.

Find out the best possible price for your travel insurance

Annual Multi-Trip

Cover for multiple trips
  • Up to 45 days each trip
  • Option to extend to 62 days
  • Special deals for couples and families
Learn More

Long Stay Single Trip

Cover from 2 to 18 months
  • Gap years
  • Extended backpacking
  • Career breaks
  • Volunteering
  • Studying
  • Working holidays abroad
Learn More

Short Stay Single Trip

Cover for up to 45 days
  • Single holiday
  • Business trip
  • Special rates for families
  • Accompanied kids go free
Learn More

Check out our blog below:

When Can You Fly With A Newborn?
Can you Fly with a Catheter Bag?
Can you Fly with Heart Arrhythmia?
Can You Fly With Varicose Eczema?


Holiday Makers

Families, couples or individuals

Families, couples or individuals on holiday or business trips for shorter durations.



gap years, Backpackers and Career break

Usually couples or individuals requiring cover for longer term overseas trips of 2 months or more.


Sports & Adventures

skiing, snowboarding, climbing and more

We offer four policies for people travelling overseas, requiring cover for specific sports and activities.