Travel Insurance For Professional Sports

Travel Insurance For Professional Sports UK

Normal travel insurance policies only cover participation in sports on an amateur basis. It can be very difficult to find cover for professional sports.

There are many different definitions of what constitutes a professional sport, but the following description is widely used:

“Professional Sport means the practice of sport in the nature of gainful employment or remunerated service, irrespective of whether or not a formal labour contract has been established between the professional sportsperson and the relevant sports organisation, where the compensation exceeds the cost of participation and constitutes a significant part of the income for the sportsperson. Travel and accommodation expenses to participate to the sport event shall not be considered as compensation for the purposes of this Regulation”.

Some definitions are somewhat looser than this, while others are stricter. If there is any doubt, it is safer to use a specialist travel insurance policy that will cover pro sport, though the costs are significantly higher. We have access to a specialist policy – the Adventures policy, which covers professional Athletics, Badminton, Cycling, Darts, Football, Golf, Horse Riding, Polo, Skateboarding, Snooker, Squash, Tennis and Triathlon. Certain other sports can be referred to by underwriters.

If you live in the UK and need to buy a policy or get a quote to cover any of these sports at a professional level, please get in touch and call us on 0161 973 6435 or email

Find out the best price for your activity travel insurance

Annual Multi-Trip

Cover for multiple trips
  • Up to 45 days each trip
  • Option to extend to 62 days
  • Special deals for couples and families
Learn More

Long Stay Single Trip

Cover from 2 to 18 months
  • Gap years
  • Extended backpacking
  • Career breaks
  • Volunteering
  • Studying
  • Working holidays abroad
Learn More

Short Stay Single Trip

Cover for up to 45 days
  • Single holiday
  • Business trip
  • Special rates for families
  • Accompanied kids go free
Learn More


Holiday Makers

Families, couples or individuals

Families, couples or individuals on holiday or business trips for shorter durations.



gap years, Backpackers and Career break

Usually couples or individuals requiring cover for longer term overseas trips of 2 months or more.


Sports & Adventures

skiing, snowboarding, climbing and more

We offer four policies for people travelling overseas, requiring cover for specific sports and activities.