One Way Travel Insurance

At Navigator Travel Insurance, we differentiate between one-way travel when you are emigrating, and one-way travel where you may be travelling on a one-way ticket, but intend to return home to the UK or EU.

The rules applied to policies for these two scenarios are very different.

If you are emigrating and do not intend to return home to the UK, your policy must usually end within 48 hours of arrival in your new home country. The idea of this is that you are then no longer travelling and you should seek private medical insurance, rather than travel insurance. Some of our policies offer a short extension to this 48 hour period, to give you time to settle in and make alternative arrangements, but generally speaking, you cannot continue to use travel insurance once you are in your final destination country.

If you are not emigrating, but have chosen to travel on a one-way ticket, either because you need flexibility in your route planning, or your intended return is too far ahead to book an airline ticket, we can cover you for longer periods. Many travel insurance policies state that you MUST hold a return ticket to come home during the insured period, otherwise your policy is invalid. We have a more flexible approach to this situation. We just state that, in order to purchase extended cover up to 18 months or possibly two years in some cases, you must “intend” to return home, i.e. you are NOT emigrating.

Please note that if you do not possess a return ticket, this can affect some types of claim. For instance, if you want to make a curtailment claim, cutting short your trip due to the illness or death of a close family member back home,  you will find that you cannot claim the cost of a ticket home, as you would have had to buy one to get home anyway. This seems harsh in some ways, but that is how the curtailment cover on travel insurance works.

Find out the best possible price for your travel insurance

Annual Multi-Trip

Cover for multiple trips
  • Up to 45 days each trip
  • Option to extend to 62 days
  • Special deals for couples and families
Learn More

Long Stay Single Trip

Cover from 2 to 18 months
  • Gap years
  • Extended backpacking
  • Career breaks
  • Volunteering
  • Studying
  • Working holidays abroad
Learn More

Short Stay Single Trip

Cover for up to 45 days
  • Single holiday
  • Business trip
  • Special rates for families
  • Accompanied kids go free
Learn More


Holiday Makers

Families, couples or individuals

Families, couples or individuals on holiday or business trips for shorter durations.



gap years, Backpackers and Career break

Usually couples or individuals requiring cover for longer term overseas trips of 2 months or more.


Sports & Adventures

skiing, snowboarding, climbing and more

We offer four policies for people travelling overseas, requiring cover for specific sports and activities.