Motorcycle Travel Insurance Policies



Please note, our policies do not provide cover for cancellation, abandonment or curtailment claims if the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advises against all or “all but essential” travel. Our policies will also not cover any claims caused by or relating to Coronavirus, COVID-19, Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-COV-2), any mutation of Coronavirus, COVID-19 or SARs-COV-2 or any pandemic or fear or threat of any the above. We also can not cover any claims relating to any fear or threat concerning these viruses, with the exception of Medical Expenses cover (provided that you are not travelling against FCO advice).


Please note that these policies are NOT to insure your motorcycle and do NOT cover Third Party liability (Personal Liability). These are Travel Insurance policies for bikers, to cover you whilst travelling by motorbike, for medical expenses etc.

All our travel insurance policies will cover you for on-road motorcycling, with no cc restrictions, as long as you hold a FULL licence to be riding a bike of that size in your home country, and wear a crash helmet (even if local law doesn’t insist on it). On-road motorcycling does not necessarily have to be a tarmac road, but the road must be what passes for the road locally and all “normal” traffic should be able to use it, including cars. If a four-wheel-drive or truck is required to negotiate the road, then you require off-road cover (see MOTORCYCLE SILVER & MOTORCYCLE GOLD policies below).

Many so-called motorbike insurance policies will not cover you for using a bike over 125cc, which is not much use for motorcycle touring. We have a range of policies that will cover you for motorbike touring on any size of bike (subject to you holding an appropriate licence), whether it is a trip travelling abroad through Europe or touring the United States by Harley-Davidson.

It all gets a bit confusing, as we offer so many different specialist insurance policies, so we have detailed the scope of cover offered by the various policies below:


In addition to the usual travel insurance cover, these policies offer the following benefits as standard, though various conditions apply:

  • Off-Road cover with no cc restrictions (any size of bike that you are licensed to ride) at no extra cost.
  • Cover for leathers, helmet, boots, gloves, tail pack/tank bag.
  • Motorcycle rental cost or travel expenses if you cannot use your bike for 8 hours or more.
  • Cover towards the cost of recovering your bike from overseas if you have to be returned home.
  • Travel expenses including for pillion if the only qualified rider is incapacitated during the trip.
  • You can ride every day on these two policies, on or off-road.
  • These policies offer Annual Multi-Trip versions for unlimited trips up to 31 days duration or Single Trip versions for a trip up to 12 months duration.
  • Motorcycle Gold offers higher cover levels than Motorcycle Silver.
  • These specialist policies may be more expensive, especially for longer durations, compared to some of the policies detailed below, but the important additional features may mean that these would be a better choice for you.
  • If you need an Annual Multi-Trip policy with more than 31 days individual trip duration, check out our NAVIGATOR SILVER, NAVIGATOR GOLD or NAVIGATOR DIAMOND policies below. These cover up to 45 days individual trip duration with an option to increase it to 62 days at extra cost (but maximum 31 days motorcycle touring per trip ON ROAD ONLY).


  • No worries about the definition of off-road as they cover on-road and off-road adventure motorcycling as standard.
  • Motorcycling apparel is covered and other benefits (bike hire, travel expenses and bike recovery).No restrictions on the number of days motorcycling during trips.


  • Expensive for long-duration journeys, though good cover in difficult terrain.
  • Annual Multi-Trip duration only 31 days per trip.

We can also arrange European Vehicle Breakdown cover for your bike (or car) with Allianz. Get a quote here.

Motorcycle Silver & Motorcycle Gold Policies

NAVIGATOR SILVER, NAVIGATOR GOLD & NAVIGATOR DIAMOND policies (as opposed to the specialist motorcycling policies – Motorcycle Silver & Motorcycle Gold)

These policies cover on-road motorcycle holdays abroad, as outlined above but only for a maximum of 31 days motorcycle tour per trip. If you can live with that restriction, these policies are fine. They offer Annual Multi-Trip versions, allowing unlimited trips of up to 45 days duration, though only 31 of these days can be on a motorcycle. They also offer Single Trip cover, either Short Stay or Long Stay, but again, only 31 days on a motorcycle. Gold has higher cover levels than Silver. These motorcycle holiday insurance policies have a very high maximum age limit for shorter trips


  • Annual Multi Trip duration 45 days, with option to increase to 62 days at extra cost, instead of 31 days (but maximum of 31 days per trip for motorcycle touring).
  • Cheaper than Motorcycle Silver and Motorcycle Gold policies.


  • Maximum 31 days motorbike tour cover on any one trip.
  • No off-road cover.
  • No cover for motorcycling apparel, bike hire, travel expenses and bike recovery.
  • No compensation cover for Death, Loss of Limb, Loss of Sight or Permanent Total Disablement for motorcycling related accidents under Section 4.


As above, but with no restriction at all on the number of days on a motorcycle, you can ride on-road every day, if you like. Annual Multi-Trip policies cover unlimited trips up to 31 days, but all 31 days can be on a motorcycle. Annual Multi-Trip policies tend to be more expensive than the equivalent Silver & Gold policies. Single Trip policies are available from a few days up to 12 months duration, all of which can be on a motorcycle. Plus policy has higher cover levels than Standard.


  • No restriction on the number of days motorcycling on each trip.
  • Lower prices for ages 56-65 years especially on longer durations up to 12 months.


  • No cover for off-road motorcycling (except up to 250cc at a high supplement).
  • No cover for motorcycling apparel or other motorcycle related benefits.
  • Annual Multi-Trip duration only 31 days per trip.


These are primarily long stay policies, offering cover from one month up to 18 months duration for one trip. You can ride a motorcycle on road every day on these policies. Backpacker cover is very basic and has low age limits (18-35 years). Standard Longstay has higher cover and age limits (up to age 55 years).


  • No restriction on the number of days motorcycling during the trip.
  • Very low rates for longer durations compared to the other policies above.
  • Cover available for a trip duration of up to 18 months (other policies above are 12 months).


  • Low age limits (18-35 years for Backpacker, 18-55 years for Longstay).
  • No cover for off road motorcycling.
  • No cover for motorcycling apparel or other motorcycle related benefits.


Are there any cc restrictions on Navigator policies?

There are no cc restrictions on any of our policies, as long as you hold a full licence to ride a similar sized bike in the UK (or EU on some policies).

Am I covered for Third Party/Personal Liability?

Travel insurance excludes liability cover if the claim arises from using any motorized vehicle. This must be covered on the vehicle/motorcycle insurance.

Do Navigator policies cover me on a rented motorcycle?

Yes, Navigator policies will cover you on owned, rented or borrowed bikes, as long as you have an appropriate full licence and are street legal.

Can I ride off-road on Navigator policies?

Most of our policies cover on-road only, though roads do not have to be tarmac. If they are official highways, marked on a map, and usable by other traffic (cars, buses, trucks etc), this would be classed as on road. Only our Motorcycle Silver and Motorcycle Gold policies cover off-road motorcycling, with no cc restriction.

Am I covered as a pillion passenger on a motorcycle?

Our policies will cover you as a pillion, as long as the rider holds a full licence for the bike.

If you have any queries or need assistance with quotes or booking, please do not hesitate to call us on 0161 973 6435 or email

All our other travel insurance policies can also incorporate motorcycle travel insurance, as detailed above.


Holiday Makers

Families, couples or individuals

Families, couples or individuals on holiday or business trips for shorter durations.



gap years, Backpackers and Career break

Usually couples or individuals requiring cover for longer term overseas trips of 2 months or more.


Sports & Adventures

skiing, snowboarding, climbing and more

We offer four policies for people travelling overseas, requiring cover for specific sports and activities.