Long Stay Travel Insurance


Long Stay Travel Insurance

If you are planning to be out of the country for an extended period of time, you will require insurance for long term travel. Navigator Travel Insurance specialises in this type of cover for travellers participating in a gap year, studying abroad, volunteering overseas, or for those who are working abroad. We also provide cover to those who are taking a career break or who are backpacking to individual destinations or embarking upon around the world itineraries.

What is Long Stay Travel Insurance?

Long stay holiday insurance is used to cover travellers who are planning to travel to one, or numerous, destinations around the world for a long period of time. Whether this is 6 months, 12 months, or even longer, we offer a choice of long stay travel insurance policies that will likely suit your needs.

Why Do You Need Long Stay Travel Insurance?

If you’re planning on being away from home for longer than a 2-month period, long trip travel insurance is a must. This is because, compared to single-trip or multi-trip travel insurance policies, long stay travel insurance can cover you for periods of time extending up to two years, in some cases.

Also, long stay insurance will cover you for more than just one, or a handful of, destinations, meaning that if you’re planning on travelling the world or exploring a continent, it keeps you sufficiently protected throughout your travels.

What Does Insurance for Long Term Travel Cover?

Insurance for long-term travel usually covers the following key components:

  • Cancellations 

If you have to cancel your trip due to unforeseen circumstances, such as an illness or death,  you may be covered.

  • Medical Expenses and Repatriation

Should you require medical attention or treatment whilst on your extended trip, you will be covered for any medical expenses this accumulates, up to the limit specified in your particular policy. Equally, should you need to be repatriated, the expenses accumulated from this will be covered up to a maximum amount also. 

  • Flight Cancellations 

Should any flights be cancelled during your trip you will likely be compensated up to a specified amount depending on your chosen policy. 

  • Lost, Stolen, or Damaged Baggage 

Should your baggage be stolen during your trip, or is lost or damaged which is not a direct result of your actions, your policy will cover you up to a certain amount covering the full, or partial, value of your belongings.

What Are the Age Limits on Long Stay Holiday Insurance?

The Maximum age for our long stay holiday insurance policies are as follows:

  •  69 or 75 years for our Longstay and Backpacker Policy
  •  59 years for our Gold and Silver Policies

If you’re over 65, we offer a range of over 65s travel insurance policies suitable for all types of trips, whether long or short stay. 

We are able to offer cover for older adults on our Travel Plus Policy for up to 94 days, and with our Adventures Policies, which covers older age groups for up to 6 months. You can contact us now online to receive a quote or further details to find the right long trip travel insurance cover for you.

Do Long Stay Insurance Policies Cover Pre-existing Medical Conditions?

Long-stay insurance policies can cover pre-existing medical conditions, but not always. It is worth discussing with a travel insurance specialist your medical circumstances before purchasing a policy. It is also worth bearing in mind that your travel insurance policy is likely to cost more if you’re needing additional cover because of your condition.

 You can call us at 0161 973 6435 to speak to one of our experts to find the right travel insurance policy to suit your needs.

Do Extended Stay Travel Insurance Policies Cover Sports and Activities?

Not all extended stay travel insurance policies cover sports or activities. However, our Navigator Gold and Silver policies cover a comprehensive range of different types of sports and activities. But, you will find that extreme activities, such as skydiving, high-altitude trekking and sports such as rugby and polo, are not covered by these policies and would require additional insurance to do so.

If you are planning on partaking in any winter sports during your long trip, you are able to purchase additional  winter sports cover, for activities including snowboarding and skiing, for up to 31 days alongside your chosen travel insurance policy.

Can I Extend My Insurance Policy Whilst I’m Away?

Our travel insurance policies are flexible, allowing you to extend the duration of your trip whilst you’re abroad. If you suddenly decide that you want to spend longer in a destination than you originally planned, or that you want to upgrade your policy to cover more extreme sports and activities at a later date, this option is available to you.

What Policy Do I Need?

Our new Longstay & Backpacker policies are some of our best long-term insurance options, covering trips of up to 18 months in duration and they will cover the following long term activities:

  • Motorcycling
  • Skiing
  • Manual work
  • Work with wild animals
  •  Work with machinery
  • Hazardous sports

These policies also have high age limits for long stay cover, with individuals of up to 69 years being eligible for worldwide travel (excluding Australia & New Zealand) and individuals of up to 75 years being eligible for travel to European, Australia & New Zealand.

Alternatively, our Navigator Gold and Silver policies are the best long term travel insurance options if you’re hoping to cover a good range of sports and activities. Although, they do not include cover for more extreme activities, such as skydiving, high-altitude trekking and sports such as rugby and polo. The option is available to add winter sports cover for up to 31 days.

Finally, our long-stay single trip policies are best great for travellers who are planning on taking one extended trip overseas. With a period of time of up to 2 years being able to be covered, this is a great option for any travellers looking to spend a long stay abroad.


Can I Get 1 Year Travel Insurance?

Here at Navigator Travel, we specialise in long-stay 12-month travel insurance and you can purchase one of our 1 year travel insurance policies with us, which will cover you for up to 12 months. We offer annual multi-trip policies, which allow you to have an unlimited number of short trips (ranging from 31 days to 62 days) within a 12-month period. 

Or, we offer our long-stay single trip policies that are best suited for those taking one extended trip to a destination overseas. These policies can be purchased for durations ranging between 1 month and 2 years, which is ideal if you’re looking to travel abroad for a 12-month period.

How Long Can You Have Travel Insurance For?

Depending on the type of travel insurance policy you purchase, you can be covered for differing periods of time, from short trips to long stays. Our short stay single trip travel insurance, for example, covers trips of up to 62 days duration for travellers up to the age of 75, whereas our aforementioned annual multi trip policies cover periods ranging from 31 to 62 days, and our long-stay can sometimes cover you for up to 2 years.

Can I Visit Several Countries With Long Stay Travel Insurance?

With our long stay and backpacker policies, you can be covered for travelling in Europe, Australia and New Zealand, or worldwide. However, worldwide cover excludes Australia and New Zealand, which would need to be purchased alongside for travellers considering visiting this corner of the world.

Find out the best possible price for your travel insurance

Annual Multi-Trip

Cover for multiple trips
  • Up to 45 days each trip
  • Option to extend to 62 days
  • Special deals for couples and families
Learn More

Long Stay Single Trip

Cover from 2 to 18 months
  • Gap years
  • Extended backpacking
  • Career breaks
  • Volunteering
  • Studying
  • Working holidays abroad
Learn More

Short Stay Single Trip

Cover for up to 45 days
  • Single holiday
  • Business trip
  • Special rates for families
  • Accompanied kids go free
Learn More


Holiday Makers

Families, couples or individuals

Families, couples or individuals on holiday or business trips for shorter durations.



gap years, Backpackers and Career break

Usually couples or individuals requiring cover for longer term overseas trips of 2 months or more.


Sports & Adventures

skiing, snowboarding, climbing and more

We offer four policies for people travelling overseas, requiring cover for specific sports and activities.