Extreme Sports Travel Insurance Policies


Extreme Sports Travel Insurance Policies

It can be difficult to get a travel insurance for sports, especially if the policy includes cover for extreme sports. Unsurprisingly, travel insurance companies aren’t that keen on providing cover for people who are trekking at altitude or throwing themselves out of planes. However, at Navigator we understand that everyone needs insurance, even if they are ‘high risk’, and we have policies which cover the polo players and bungee jumpers of this world.

If you are an adrenaline junkie and get your kicks from extreme sports when you’re on holiday then it’s obviously very important you get travel insurance which covers the activities you are going to be doing. The many hair-raising activities out there fall into different categories and some extreme sports travel insurance policies will not cover every activity that exists. Some policies will cover winter sports, some will cover outdoor activities and others will cover watersports.

The SILVER and GOLD Short Stay and Annual Multi-Trip policies come in three different versions, Leisure, Action or Action Plus. Our SILVER and GOLD Long Stay policies only cover the Leisure range of activities as standard. If you require cover for some of the more hazardous activities you may need to choose our Adventures policy instead, additional cost and conditions will apply. Adventures is not available online, please call 0161 973 6435 or email sales@navigatortravel.co.uk for quotes.

Most travel insurance will only cover sports on an amateur basis, but we can cover professional sports on our Adventures policy.

Whatever travel insurance cover you are getting, whether it’s for extreme sports or not, there is a wide range of potential issues to look out for. This could be the excess on your policy, special conditions relating to certain sports and activities or what happens if you lose your luggage somewhere along the way. Navigator Travel’s Travel Insurance Tips & Advice page covers the many areas you need to look out for and gives you a breakdown of what to look for when choosing your policy. Make sure you take it all in so you don’t find yourself in a hot air balloon accident wondering if your medical bills will be covered.

Navigator’s aim is to make the process of choosing your travel insurance for extreme sports as easy as possible before your holiday, giving you all the information in a straightforward format so you can concentrate on the important things, like finding a good diving instructor! We are also available to discuss any issues personally with you if required via phone or email so you know exactly what you’re getting with the policy you settle on.

Depending on the nature of your adventure holiday, there are various extreme travel insurance policies available, which fall into 3 main categories:

Whichever of the above policies you choose, make sure you select the correct level – Leisure, Action or Action Plus on SILVER and GOLD policies. The Action and Action Plus levels are required for certain higher risk sports and are not available as standard on Long Stay SILVER or GOLD cover. You will find the sports categorised on the last page of our Policy Wording Documents. Please note that there are also additional conditions attached to cover for higher category sports. For these sports, there is no cover for Personal Liability claims and no cover for additional compensation for Death, Disablement, Loss of Sight/Limb. On SILVER and GOLD policies, the Medical Expenses cover applies to participation in Action and Action Plus sports, though the excess deducted from claims (normally £75 on Premier Lite Short Stay or Annual Multi-Trip policies and £50 on SILVER and GOLD Short Stay or Annual Multi-Trip policies, is increased to £200 on both policies for medical claims arising from participation in these sports. Our SILVER and GOLD Long Stay policies only cover the Leisure range of activities as standard. It is worth mentioning here that Personal Liability cover is also always excluded for claims arising from driving motor vehicles of any kind, boats and riding animals.

If you’re the kind of adventure traveller who is regularly out on the road and hunting down the next thrill then you’ll be looking for an annual multi-trip policy. If you’re just dipping your toes in the extreme sports world then you might only need a short term policy. If you can’t find the policy you’re looking for then call us direct on 0161 973 6435 and we will do our best to find the most suitable one for your needs.

Find out the best price for your activity travel insurance

Annual Multi-Trip

Cover for multiple trips
  • Up to 45 days each trip
  • Option to extend to 62 days
  • Special deals for couples and families
Learn More

Long Stay Single Trip

Cover from 2 to 18 months
  • Gap years
  • Extended backpacking
  • Career breaks
  • Volunteering
  • Studying
  • Working holidays abroad
Learn More

Short Stay Single Trip

Cover for up to 45 days
  • Single holiday
  • Business trip
  • Special rates for families
  • Accompanied kids go free
Learn More


Holiday Makers

Families, couples or individuals

Families, couples or individuals on holiday or business trips for shorter durations.



gap years, Backpackers and Career break

Usually couples or individuals requiring cover for longer term overseas trips of 2 months or more.


Sports & Adventures

skiing, snowboarding, climbing and more

We offer four policies for people travelling overseas, requiring cover for specific sports and activities.